The CR.42 "Falco", built by Fiat, went into service in 1939. It was a development upon the Fiat CR.32, upgraded to keep up with the advancement of fighter design. Designed around the supercharged FiatA.74 R1C.38 air-cooled radial engine, and built with a duralumin and steel frame, this aircraft was suprisingly strong, with a good top speed for a bi-plane, and excellent maneuverability (much to the RAF's surprise, who began issuing its pilots warnings). Well liked in all fronts it served in, over 1,800 were built, making it the most widely produced italian aircraft of World War II. The CR.42 has two distinctions: A variant powered by an Alfa Romeo built DB-601 is considered to be the fastest bi-plane to ever fly, and it is credited with the world's last claimed biplane kill, a P-38, claimed northwest of Sisak, Croatia.
|Note: Base stats only (no upgrade installed)|
- Armed with a 12.7mm and 7.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun. Later versions were armed with two 12.7mm's.
- An 80L (20 US gal) tank added in the fuselage, for the Aegaen theatre.
- "Close Support" version of the CR.42 with provisions for two extra 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, underwing pylons for two 100kg bombs, and upgraded air-filter for use in North Africa.
- Prototype powered by an Alfa Romeo built DB-601, reached approx. 518 km/h.
- Standard armament of x2 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns.
- Night fighter version, with underwing mounted search lights.
- Armed with x2 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, with x2 12.7mm underwing blister machine guns.
- Experimental floatplane design. Loss of only 8km/h.
- Night-harassment, anti-partisan falco's built for the luftwaffe. Equipped with exhaust flame dampers, a pair of 12.7mm machine guns, and underwing racks for four 50kg bombs.
CR.42 "Bombe Alari"
- Modification done to outdated fighters, which added bomb pylons, to turn them into ground attack aircraft.
In Game: Unlocked at tier 1 in the German Tree.
- Max Speed: 429 km/h at 5200m
- Max Altitude: 8500m
- Turn Time: 19.2 seconds
- Rate of Climb: 17m/s
- Armament: x2 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns (400 rpg)
- Max Speed: 441 km/h at 6100m
- Max Altitude: 10,210m
- Rate of Climb: 11.8m/s
- Armament(bis variant, comparable to in game model): x2 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns (400 rpg)
85th Division 18th Regiment Maldegem Belgium, 1940: Shoot down 10 players